We will tell you when you need to see a doctor for a cold.
My throat and head hurt, my nose is stuffed up, I don’t want to do anything – in general, I feel worse than ever. Usually, this condition without fever, vomiting, or other serious symptoms is a sign that you have a cold. Its symptoms last 7 to 10 days in adults and 7 to 14 days in children.
🤧 Why do we catch cold
The common cold is cleverly called ARVI – an acute respiratory viral disease. It is believed that a cold occurs when the body is simply supercooled, but in fact, the cause of a cold is a virus, more precisely viruses. When you overcome, there is a favorable environment for infection with the fact that at normal times your immunity will easily reflect.
Interestingly, the viruses that cause the common cold about 200… Therefore, you can get sick several times a year: you will be immune to one virus, but not to another.
😷 How long does an adult cold last
Common cold symptoms appear 1-3 days after infection… It doesn’t matter how you got infected: you stood next to a sneezing person or didn’t wash your hands after shaking hands.
After that, ARVI can be divided into several stages:
- 1-2 days. Sneezing, itching or sore throat are the first symptoms of a cold;
- 3-4 day. Symptoms progress: the nose begins to run, a runny nose appears.
- 5-7 days. The peak of the disease may even rise in temperature or chills.
- 8-10 days. A cough appears – a sign that the cold has subsided. You may feel a general weakness and unwillingness to do business, but you are capable of pulling yourself together if something happens.
Of course, everyone lives a cold in different ways: some easily endure the illness on their feet, others suffer in bed from pain in the sinuses, lungs or ears. People with reduced immunity, as well as children, pregnant women, and the elderly, may have more severe symptoms and take longer to heal.
👩⚕️ When to see a doctor
ARVI does not need to be treated: the body will cope with “light” viruses on its own. However, it is also not worth doing worse, because the immune system is weakened, which contributes to infection with something more serious.
See your doctor if, after 10 days, symptoms persist or worsen, new ones appear – vomiting, diarrhea, or shortness of breath.
👉 How to relieve symptoms
- Wait. Give your body time to deal with the virus on its own.
- Drink plenty of fluids ;
- If possible, stay in bed and get enough sleep ;
- Eat right.